Classic Japan Cherry Blossom
28 March – 10 April 2021
14 days | AU$8290* pp – EARLY BIRD PRICE – 8 places left | BOOK NOW
– Missed a place? Consider our Central Japan Cherry Blossom Tour
– Read our 2016 Tour Report
Explore Japan during the beautiful cherry blossom season
Japan is a fascinating country full of incredible contrasts, and well-known for its beauty during the cherry blossom (sakura) season.
In this 14-day Classic Japan Cherry Blossom Tour you will get to experience the best that this diverse country has to offer at its prettiest time of year. Incredible photographic opportunities await you as we explore a melting pot of traditional culture, futuristic cities, diverse landscapes, and ancient temples among the sakura.
We explore street and night photography in Osaka and Tokyo, and visit famous areas including Dotonbori, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku and Ginza.
View the majestic beauty of Mt Fuji while setting up the perfect landscape shot as the shinkansen (bullet train) whizzes past.
Make a sobering visit to the Hiroshima Peace Park, then visit the stunning floating torii gate at Miyajima. See the unique wooden construction of Kintaikyo Bridge at Iwakuni.
Explore magnificent Kyoto temples and their incredible details, all surrounded by blossoming cherry trees. Visit some of the most incredible gardens in the world at Saihoji and Ritsurin.
See geisha up close and watch the elegance of their traditional art and service.
This is a travel and photography tour unlike any other. If you’ve ever wanted to visit Japan and come away with amazing photos, and better photography skills, and have a great time doing so, this is the tour for you!
Book now and take advantage of our special pricing!
This tour provides a wealth of incredible photography opportunities and unlike any other during Japan’s cherry blossom season. We visit a selection of incredibly photogenic sights where you’ll learn how to improve your photography and create the images you’ve always wanted to.
Our highlights include:
- Saihoji (the “Moss Temple”) – Kyoto’s most exclusive temple open to the public and a World Heritage landmark.
- Tokyo Skytree – Asia’s tallest building at 634m with spectacular views over Tokyo.
- Chidorigafuchi moat – arguably Tokyo’s most photogenic cherry blossom spot.
- Tsukiji Fish Market – famous for its tuna auction, and due to move location from late 2015. Visit this Tokyo icon while it’s still in Tsukiji!
- Ritsurin Garden – one of the best gardens in Japan, often rated alongside Japan’s “three most beautiful gardens” (I’ve been to all of them and think it’s the best!)
- Fushimi Inari Shrine – famous for the thousands of red torii gates on the mountainside.
- Otagi Nenbutsuji – one of Kyoto’s quirkiest and least-visited temples featuring hundreds of stone statues.
- Visits to several Kyoto World Heritage monuments, including Kinkakuji (the Golden Pavilion), Ginkakuji, Ryoanji, and Nijo Castle.
- Himeji Castle – after years of renovations, Japan’s best castle has now reopened!
- Miyajima – famous for its iconic “floating” torii gate and Itsukushima Shrine.
- Kintaikyo – this beautiful bridge is one of the best examples of wooden bridge architecture in the world.
- Private geisha dinner – it’s just our small group with a geisha and interpreter!
- Mount Yoshino – Japan’s most famous cherry blossom location for centuries.
- Photographic training and personalised feedback from Julius Pang, a multi award winning photographer and Japan travel expert.
- Great food and optional activities!
Classic Japan Cherry Blossom Tour includes:
- 13 nights accommodation (3-4 star hotels)
- 13 breakfasts, special geisha lunch
- All local land transport (except airport transfers)
- Japan Rail Pass
- Photography tuition over entire tour
- 2 photography workshops
- Entry fees and cultural activities as listed in itinerary
- 2 luggage transfers
Tour does not include:
- International airfares
- Travel insurance
- Airport transfers
- Meals and food not listed in itinerary
- Portable wifi internet access
- Beverages (alcoholic & non-alcoholic)
- Personal spending money
- Tips & gratuities (not expected in Japan)
Tokyo Skytree, Tsukiji Market, Meiji Shrine, Shibuya, Himeji Castle, Ritsurin Garden, Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park, Itsukushima Shrine, Kintai Bridge, Kinkakuji, Ryoanji, Todaiji, Gion walking tour, private geisha dinner, Fushimi Inari Shrine, Nanzenji, Ginkakuji, Nijo Castle, Otagi Nenbutsuji, Saihoji, Mount Yoshino.
28 March – 10 April 2020
$8690*pp $8290pp EARLY BIRD SPECIAL
* All prices shown are based per person twin share in Australian dollars and include all taxes, gratuities, land transport (except airport transfers), and some meals. Single supplement is $1290. Airfares are not included and must be organised separately. Prices and itineraries are correct at time of publishing but are subject to change. Payments online using Paypal attract a 3.6% service charge. No service charge applicable for direct deposit payments. Please check the inclusions and email us to confirm or to find out more details. View our full terms & conditions here.
2020 Classic Japan Cherry Blossom Tour – Booking
To book your place on the 2020 Classic Japan Cherry Blossom Tour, you will need to complete a Booking Form and make a deposit*. We accept payments via direct deposit, Paypal or a credit card (through Paypal).
*NB: Deposit payment by Paypal includes a 3.6% service charge.
DIRECT DEPOSIT PAYMENT
Australian clients, please transfer payment to the following bank account and email the transaction record to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Bankwest – Garden City, 125 Riseley Street, Booragoon WA 6154
Account number: 2762488
Account name: Incredible Photo Tours
International clients, we recommend using either Transferwise or Hifx for direct deposit payments to us. Please contact us for more details.
SEND US YOUR BOOKING FORM
Please email the completed booking form to us at email@example.com and we will get back in touch with you regarding room preferences.
International Telegraphic Transfers:
If you are making an international telegraphic transfer (TT) into our account, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will provide you with further details so you can proceed with the telegraphic transfer. Any bank fees incurred to accept the telegraphic transfer will be payable by the sender.
* Tour deposit is non-refundable and the balance payment of the tour is to be paid to our bank account via direct deposit or Paypal no later than 45 days of tour departure. Payment details will be emailed to you upon confirmation of your deposit payment and allocation of your place on the tour. Full Payment and balance payment online using Paypal includes a 3.6% service charge. There is no service charge using direct deposit. By making a Deposit or Full Payment you agree to our booking terms and conditions.
Start: Tokyo, 28 March 2021 (Sun)
End: Kyoto, 10 April 2021 (Sat)
Places visited: Tokyo, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Iwakuni, Himeji, Takamatsu, Kyoto, Osaka, Mount Yoshino
Transport: Bullet train, regular train, public bus, taxi*.
* please note this tour includes extensive use of public transport and walking as main methods of transport.
Accommodation: 3 to 4-star hotels in Tokyo, Hiroshima, Osaka, and Kyoto.
Type of tour: Small group photography tour
Group size: Min 2, Max 8
Fitness level: Moderate (please refer to FAQ)
$8690pp $8290pp twin share – save $400!
(single supplement AU$1290)
I consider that when I “Googled” “photo tours in Japan” it was one of my luckiest days as it gave me the details for one of the best tours I have ever heard about.
Thank you very much for a wonderful tour of Japan. I thoroughly enjoyed all the places you took us to and also the great photo opportunities we had. Japan is an amazing place and it was a great introduction to all that Japan is, the traditions, customs, people, tourist attractions.
Day 1 – TOKYO | 28 Mar. 2021 (Sun)
Arrive at Narita or Haneda Airport and make your way to our accommodation in central Tokyo. A welcome dinner will be held and we’ll discuss the photography and activities we will undertake in Tokyo over the next few days.
Day 2 – TOKYO | 29 Mar. 2021 (Mon)
An action-packed first day exploring Tokyo, including visits to Harajuku, famous for its crazy fashion and youthful vibe, and the spacious and peaceful grounds of Meiji Shrine.
After lunch, we visit Sensoji Temple, one of Tokyo's most popular temples. We finish off our day at Tokyo Skytree, the second-tallest structure in the world and tallest in Asia at 634m! There are amazing views to be had and fantastic opportunities to capture the Tokyo cityscape literally beneath you as the sun sets and the night lights illuminate the city.
Day 3 – TOKYO | 30 Mar. 2021 (Tue)
We start off our day with a morning visit Toyosu Market, the largest wholesale fish and seafood market in the world. You can choose to have a delicious and amazing fresh sushi lunch after the visit.
After Tsukiji Market, we visit Tokyo Imperial Palace Gardens and Chidorigafuchi moat, one of Tokyo’s most photogenic sakura (cherry blossom) spots.
In the evening we visit Shibuya, home to the world’s busiest pedestrian crossing. We finish off our day with a visit to Ginza, home of the flagship stores of many luxury fashion brands and incredible architecture.
Day 4 – TOKYO | 31 Mar. 2021 (Wed)
Shinkansen day! Often referred to as the bullet train, the shinkansen is Japan’s incredible high speed train and one of the country’s greatest technological achievements. After checkout, we will take a ride on the shinkansen south to Shizuoka prefecture to photograph the shinkansen against the backdrop of Mt Fuji (weather permitting).
We return back to Tokyo in the afternoon so sit back, relax, enjoy a bento lunch and experience a 270km/h train ride. The evening is free time for your to explore Tokyo on your own and get some souvenir shopping done.
Day 5 – HIMEJI | 1 Apr. 2021 (Thu)
Plenty of travel today as we make our way south to Hiroshima on the shinkansen. We stop en route at Himeji to visit Japan's most celebrated castle. Himeji Castle is Japan’s finest surviving example of castle architecture and it looks incredibly picturesque during spring with its many sakura in bloom.
* The Main Building of the Peace Memorial Museum is undergoing renovation work until spring 2018. The East Building still remains open for visiting.
Day 6 – HIROSHIMA, IWAKUNI, MIYAJIMA | 2 Apr. 2021 (Fri)
This morning we visit Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park, the location of the Atomic Bomb Dome, Children’s Peace Monument (the “Sadako statue”), the Memorial Cenotaph, and the Peace Memorial Museum*. These monuments make for a moving experience and time for contemplation.
After lunch we make our way to Iwakuni City. Iwakuni is home to Kintai Bridge (Kintaikyo), a multi-arch bridge made entirely of wood and without the use of any nails. Kintaikyo is one of the finest examples of wooden bridge architecture in the world and is considered one of the three most beautiful bridges in Japan.
From late afternoon, we visit Miyajima, home to Itsukushima Shrine and its iconic “floating” torii gate in the water. This sight is ranked as one of Japan’s three best views.
Day 7 – KURASHIKI, TAKAMATSU | 3 Apr. 2021 (Sat)
We visit Kurashiki this morning with its beautiful canal-lined Bikan Historical Quarter, featuring buildings dating back to the Edo period.
In the afternoon, we make our way across to Shikoku island via the Great Seto Bridge (13.1km long!) and to the city of Takamatsu, where we visit Ritsurin Garden. This is one of Japan’s greatest gardens and is often ranked alongside the famous “three most beautiful gardens of Japan” which are Korakuen (in Okayama), Kenrokuen (in Kanazawa), and Kairakuen (in Mito).
We make our way to Osaka in the evening and checkin. The evening is free time to explore on your own, with the neon-lit buildings of the Dotonbori food and shopping district just a short train ride away.
Day 8 – NARA, OSAKA | 4 Apr. 2021 (Sun)
In the morning we head to Nara. Nara was a former capital of Japan and has several significant historical monuments. We will be visiting Todaiji temple, one of the world’s largest wooden buildings, and housing the world’s largest wooden Buddha statue inside. We will also walk around Nara Park, home to hundreds of free-roaming deer!
The afternoon is free time and we will provide some ideas for things to do, or you can simply take the time to sit back and relax.
In the evening, we regroup and visit Dotonbori, Osaka’s famous food and nightlife district. Osaka is home to some of Japan’s famous street food, including okonomiyaki (Japanese-style “pancake”), and takoyaki (octopus-filled batter balls – you just have to try it!).
We will explore Dotonbori and you will get to see and shoot the enormous neon signs surrounding Ebisu Bridge.
Day 9 – KYOTO | 5 Apr. 2021 (Mon)
We make our way to Kyoto early in the morning and two of Kyoto’s most famous temples today, the gold-covered Kinkakuji, and Ryoanji, featuring Japan’s most famous zen rock garden.
We spend the afternoon in Arashiyama and enjoy the atmosphere and street food on offer. In the evening we make our way to downtown Kyoto to visit Nishiki Market, famous for selling many of Kyoto's food specialties.
Day 10 – KYOTO | 6 Apr. 2021 (Tue)
A very early start as we visit Fushimi Inari Shrine for sunrise, with its thousands of torii gates making seemingly endless vermillion tunnel up the mountain side. The gates look amazing as the light changes from twilight to sunrise.
Returning to downtown Kyoto, enjoy some free time until the afternoon to explore Kyoto on your own. Enjoy the fun atmosphere at Maruyama Park, where locals hanami (flower viewing) parties will be celebrated with plenty of drinking involved!
Mid-afternoon, we will visit the geisha district of Gion and view a performance of the Miyako Odori, Kyoto’s famous springdance performance staged by the geisha of Gion Kobu.
Day 11 – YOSHINO | 7 Apr. 2021 (Wed)
Today we head to countryside Nara to visit Mount Yoshino (Yoshinoyama), Japan’s most famous cherry blossom spot. There are thousands of sakura trees planted on Mount Yoshino, creating a beautiful patchwork of pink during sakura season as you look down the mountain.
We visit several temples as we make our way up the mountain and stop at various viewpoints. The hike up is vigorous at times but the reward is a glorious view of the sakura-dotted mountainside.
We return to Kyoto in the evening where you have free time to explore around downtown Kawaramachi.
Day 12 – KYOTO | 8 Apr. 2021 (Thu)
This morning we visit a quirky and very off-the-beaten-track temple in Kyoto, Otagi Nenbutsuji. This temple features hundreds of stone faces, all different and custom-made.
After lunch, we visit the spectacular Saihoji*, also known as Kokedera (“Moss Temple”). This is Japan’s most exclusive temple open for public access and requires advance booking due to a small daily visitor quota. Kokedera’s moss garden is regarded by many as one of the best zen gardens in the world.
After dinner, we visit Nijo Castle and its spectacular night time cherry blossom illumination.
* Saihoji has a visitor quota and places are subject to availability from the temple and are not guaranteed. We will visit an alternative temple if we cannot secure places for all our guests.
Day 13 – KYOTO | 9 Apr. 2021 (Fri)
In the morning, we visit some more of Kyoto’s famous attractions including Nanzenji, the Philosopher’s Path, and Ginkakuji (“Silver Pavilion”).
We meet up in Gion around lunchtime for one of the highlights of our trip – a walking tour of Gion guided by a Kyoto guide, with a special private lunch accompanied by a geiko, there to serve and talk with us! Learn more about the world of geiko while enjoying Kyoto cuisine. This is a truly exclusive lunch, it’s just our group, our interpreter, and the maiko. And yes, you will have the chance to take photos with the maiko!
After our amazing maiko lunch, the afternoon is free for you to explore Kyoto on your own and catch up on shopping.
We return to our hotel in the evening, and celebrate with our final dinner together and share the best images we have taken over the past two weeks!
Meals: B, L, D
Day 14 – KYOTO | 10 Apr. 2021 (Sat)
The end of our tour and after checkout we will assist you with transfers to the airport for your flight home.